My rifle shooting stand is now finished and it is not a million miles away from my inspiration above. Both the backstop and the Front support are different on my version and the back on my version looks a lot more padded than the version above, as I want to make sure the rifle is properly protected.
I have never been happy with the back support and I have now improved it and made it easily adjustable. For the QB78 I have moved it further forward and with the QB78 and the CW600 this works fine. However with the Remington on it overbalanced and I had to change the fulcrum point. This then forced the main arm downwards and while I can tighten it I preferred to have a second adjuster to stop it dropping.
There have been quite a few modifications to this rifle stand since I made it, The back saddle has been changed to a sliding wooden support based on a wooden support in my gun box which seems to work quite well.
I acquired a small lathe and made myself some locking hand wheels to replace the wing-nuts. I zinc/Nickel alloy plated these items. but I painted over them as well in satin black
Time will tell if these are the last modifications I will make to this rack, but it has served well so far.
Thanks to Kelvin for the loan of his solar welding mask which was a new idea to me but I found it made life much easier to weld with, for me anyway. I have my own one now and I have returned Kelvins mask.
My mask did arrive on time, but I must say I was less impressed with it than I was with Kelvins Mask. The Solar panel had dropped down and I didn’t even want to try it like that.
I was obliged to take the mask apart and had to open the box than the circuit board was in to get at the solar panel. I will need to do this in the future anyway to change the battery, but I was amazed to find that the solar panel was supposed to be held in place by a sort of double sided sticky foam plaster. I did of course re-attach the solar panel in place. but I found myself wondering if a couple of blobs of glue would really have broken the bank on the mask.
OK so it only cost £14, but I would have paid a bit more for better quality.
So here is my project in the gallery below. It is complete, but subject to change. I may change the rear backstop when I find a better way of doing it and I have a couple of spirit levels that have since been fitted, to make sure the whole stand is level. Though I have added a couple of photos of that to the Gallery.
This led me on to the idea of making a similar stand for the pistols and the crossbow. This is like a scaled down version of the above project.
I have used the wooden mock up I made for the above project and altered it to suit, before I committed to making in out of square tubing etc. It is coming on. I wanted to make sure the Guns and crossbow point downwards at rest. They can be adjusted upward with a bolt.
One of the problems I had was the length of adjustment needed so that all 3 weapons will work with it. I think I have solved that problem now.
I also think I will be redesigning the back end of the original project as I think the approach I used on this new one are better.
I went to B&Q a couple of days ago looking for 6mm wing-nuts, flat washers and spring washers. but in the end I gave up. If they had any they were all mixed up and I could not find them unless I had loads of time at my disposal to sift through the disorganised racks. Also it seems that I can get what I want from Ebay in a lot of cases cheaper than I can get locally, assuming I can get it locally. This even seems to be true of sheet material which obviously has a quite high price loading on carriage. I have now ordered the parts I want and I am recycling the metal from a former project to complete this project.
This one will have the ability to clamp the pistol grips of the pistols and the crossbow in place. This may or may not be useful, but it is possible with his stand.