I have now finished the service/refit of the Falcon FN19. One of the 3 guns that will eventually be serviced.
I already had the Falcon seals and I have watched and included on this page tear down video’s. They are here for my reference in some respects. I have stripped the gun many times and resembled it, during this refit, so I could fairly easy strip it down now and put it back together, but a few years in the future I may need something to jog my memory.
I finally gave up trying to get good matching results from bluing the rifle, which it did need and I found a local firm that would professionally reblue the parts for me for £30. I did of course have to strip it down and take it back to bare metal, but the results speak for themselves really.
From my own personal experience I am of the opinion that the DIY Bluing is probably best used for touching up, or for small parts. I think a whole gun especially a PCP’s is beyond its design limits myself. I am sure someone who has done of lot of the bluing could make a better job, but I really do not think it will be that durable. I want to keep this gun and be proud of it, So in the end I opted for professional blacking.
Here is the result of the blacking. The company mentioned about keeping the external parts oiled which I already knew about and I use the Barricade wipes But it looks superb well worth the cost.
I could then once again put the mechanicals back together one last time, with new parts, seals and o rings.
I found I had to buy some hook tools for the o rings, as I tried a plastic set which was just not up to the task and tool broke the first time I tried to remove a worn out crispy o ring. All I could rescue from that kit was the brushes. So really the kit was a bit expensive for what it was and the hook was not fit for purpose. In the end I got a set of tools from T R Robb and indeed I have bought many of his service parts.
Below is a video of a strip-down guide which is relevant to this Rifle The only one I have actually found for this rifle. Many do the cylinder parts which seems to be relatively standard throughout the range. but few deal with the magazine advance mechanism.
I found that I had to get a new inlet valve block as the old one was mangled, presumably by a previous owner, so I would guess the internals have been fiddled with as some point in the history of this rifle. I also replaced the Inlet valve itself, But the replacement was stainless steel and not brass.
The exhaust valve has also been replaced and the existing quick release valve has had its o rings changed. Which it really needed. I have however kept all the old parts. As they may be of value if and when the rifle is ever sold.
I have a new hammer, but decided not to use it. I am not convinced it will be any better than the original hammer and it will be more of a faf to adjust then the original hammer, I am not even convinced it will work on the Falcon FN19. So I used the original hammer. The new hammer may work for the rifle shown in T R Robb’s videos, but I cant see it working on the model of Falcon I have.
I have begun making an experimental cocking bolt which it seemed to work, but it needs a lot more cleaning up and It is partly down to cosmetics and partly down to sizing if I can make it look nice I may use this bolt instead of the original one. I may even chrome or gold plate it at a later date.
It looks like a brand new mechanism. I did put two pumps of air into it just to test it was working and it seems to be,
I have had problems indexing the magazines. In particular the new magazines. I discovered the main hole was to small for the pellet probe and I had to open that out, But I still could not get it to index properly. The old ones were no problem. I have taken the new magazines apart and it seems all that stops them permanently rotating is a small piece of rubber, I have lost this piece of rubber on one magazine. but I am fairly sure i can make another piece of rubber out of a bit of heat shrink tubing. My main concern is to get them to index first then I will worry about that bit of rubber.
I was more concerned about the clearance between the silencer and the valve cap that fits on the quick fill valve. So in the end I bit the bullet and I drilled and tapped another hole in the silencer to see if I could address this issue, by moving the silencer slightly further along the barrel It did seem to work OK.
I have put lock-tight on the old grub screw and refitted it in it’s original location now. However The silencer being a tight fit and held on by a grub screw biting into the barrel has damaged the bluing on the end of the Barrel. I have touched this up, I had to rub it a down a little with steel wool, but I think that will be OK. I have also repainted and lacquered the silencer.
I drilled a hole in the valve dust cap and attached an old Lanyard from the camera which I can easily attach to the cylinder so that I can’t inadvertently loose it.
I have had a go at brass plating the quick fill valve and The inlet valve. The results can be seen above. These two parts are actually stainless steel. But I have brass plated them. Its a long process and cleanliness is by far the most important aspect of the plating process. This was brush plated and it took a while and finished up a dull flat colour, not at all resembling brass. But this was the result of a few minutes with a Brillo pad and water I have done no other polishing at this point.
I have now reassembled the rifle. All that remains now is to sort out the indexing of the magazines.
With luck the parts to service the QB78 will be here tomorrow so it seems to have worked out about right.
Of course I have two stocks with the Falcon, the standard stock and the light hunter stock. The standard stock was a bit battered and looking tired so I have been refurbishing it. Please see the Stock refinishing page to see how this went.